Monday, January 02, 2006

Delicate Demolition

As I continued the demolition of the basement kitchen today, I finally remembered to take pictures of my progress. Unfortunately, I didn’t take a picture of the space before I began demolition—believing, incorrectly, that I had taken a picture of the space in 1994, when I had taken pictures of the entire house.


Basement with a Bit of the Original Kitchen (Jun 1994)

This is the only picture I could find of the space, and it shows only part of the downstairs kitchen. In the lower left-hand corner of the photograph, you can just barely see the old stove (long gone). To the left of that is the sink. Above that were the cabinets (marked with a scratch in this scanned photo), and to the right of the stove were the tall cabinets. Yesterday and today, I removed the facing from all of these areas around the stove. The only part of these structures that remain at all is the sink.


Basement Kitchen, Deep into the Demolition (2 Jan 2006)

Here you can see the sink (with its green “backsplash” remaining), the boards against the wall that used to hold the modest weight of the cabinets, and the tall cabinets (significantly stripped). My goal, remember, was to take these structures apart carefully so that I could reuse the tongue-and-groove boards.


Basement Kitchen at the End of the Demolition (2 Jan 2006)

By the end of my day (which was at about 3 o’clock), I’d cleaned the sink down to just enough to hold itself up, I’d ripped almost all the wires out of the areas (and capped those I couldn’t), and I had removed all the boards against the wall and the entire tall cabinet. What remains, on the right, is the closet, which I might have to demolish later on.

I’m also left with a nice, but messy, pile of usable boards, and a neat, but unnecessary, lean-to of boards and pieces I want to discard. My hope is that the contractors will take this stuff away for me in a couple of weeks, especially since they would have had to demolish these structures if I had not done so myself.

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home