Monday, January 09, 2006

Maybe in Two Weeks

Today, I called our contractor to confirm that storing our cabinets in our garage for three winter months wouldn't be a problem. And he did that, saying that people do that all the time with no ill effects. I just need to make sure the cabinets stay dry and that the roof doesn't fall on them. I'll make sure the cabinets are off the floor, and I'll cover the boxes with tarps, but I'm never quite sure the garage roof won't cave in.

While on the phone with the contractor, I decided to ask him about the start date again. His estimate is now January 23rd, two weeks from today, but he says the start date might be as early as the 19th or the 20th. The actual date depends on how good the weather is for the next couple of weeks. Since the weather is supposed to continue abnormally warm, we probably will start the project late this month.

With this information in hand (and the near certain knowledge that I won't be here the day this project commences), I also asked about the particular sequence of steps for the creation of the stairway into the basement. He said it would be cut the hole for the stairs, frame the opening, add the stairs, remove the old stairs, move the electric, then cut a hole for the back door. With this information, I have some idea if I'll have any time to get home and dismantle more of the basement closets. Also, I'm now sure that I will have to dismantle at least the next two closets to make sure there is enough space for the stairs. Since I also probably want space for a stove and a refrigerator, I might want to tear out the entire run of closets.

As Nancy and Erin say, "Oy."


The Remaining Closets in the Basement
(The closets to the left of the yellow line definitely have to come out)

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home