Monday, February 20, 2006

Day Eight: A Remote Report

Milford Plaza, Room 1629, New York, New York

I haven’t seen what the workmen have done to the house today, since no-one is at home right now, but I called Dave at the site of the action and acquired this brief report.

They removed the old stairs to the basement today, which will be a great change all by itself. I can’t wait to see what the basement looks without that blemish.

With the stairs gone, they jacked up the floor of the kitchen 1 5/8 inches to make it a bit more level. That seems like a significant amount, but it’s not enough to level the floor. Once they level the floor, they’ll be in the joists (across the void) to extend the kitchen floor to the back wall.

Dave reports that Chris, the electrician, has begun to organize the wiring in the house. And I suppose he’s added an outlet for the stove and temporary outlets for the washer and dryer—all in the basement.

Finally, the big new: Tom, the plumber, can’t figure out how to re-route the plumbing without tearing out the bathroom. So, tomorrow, they will put up sheeting in front of the closets and tear out some of the bathroom. I assume they’ll take out the ceiling and some of the walls. We’ll see what’s happened once we get home tomorrow night. Then we’ll have to move everything out of the bathroom on Wednesday.

The fun continues.

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home