Day Four: Stairway to Cellar
It is difficult to believe that we are only four days into this remodeling project. The changes are already big, and every day we're surprised by the progress. Today, I spoke with George about the plans for next week, but I leave discussion of those for tomorrow.

The Way Downstairs
This is the opening to our old stairwell. Dave and John have already removed all the wallboard from the walls. The door on the right will probably become the door to the new basement as well.

After a Pivot, the Way Downstairs
When I turn to go down the stairs, the ceiling is clearly the bottom of and old set of stairs. We assume these stairs were the servants' stairs.

A Peek at the Old Plaster
But if you look closely at these stairs, you'll be able to see part of a huge pile of old plaster sticking out. Note the old wallpaper adhering to the plaster.

The Stairs Almost Given Way
As I walked down the stairs today, I noticed that the stairs were spongier than usual. The gaps in these stairs tell the story.

Looking up into the Void and at the Trapped Plaster
When I get down to the bottom of the stairs, I can look up and see both the water stains in this part of the house and the structure put in place to trap the the plaster that was being dumped in this part of the house during a previous remodeling project.

Under the New Stairs
Here's a view of the underside of the new stairs. What catches my eyes, though, are the small shims stuck between the risers and the middle range of wood.

The Stairs from the Side
From the side, this litte staircase seems pretty sturdy, but

Up the Stairs from the Basement
the stairs look even sturdier when you look at them straight on. I'm not sure, however, that these stairs are finished. I mean, will there be some kind of covering used to protect the stairs from damage.

Down the Stairs into the Basement
Counterintuitively, the view from the top of the stairs down looks much like it's opposite, and I had to orient the pictures in the same direction to make them make sense visually.
honi soit qui mal y pense

The Way Downstairs
This is the opening to our old stairwell. Dave and John have already removed all the wallboard from the walls. The door on the right will probably become the door to the new basement as well.

After a Pivot, the Way Downstairs
When I turn to go down the stairs, the ceiling is clearly the bottom of and old set of stairs. We assume these stairs were the servants' stairs.

A Peek at the Old Plaster
But if you look closely at these stairs, you'll be able to see part of a huge pile of old plaster sticking out. Note the old wallpaper adhering to the plaster.

The Stairs Almost Given Way
As I walked down the stairs today, I noticed that the stairs were spongier than usual. The gaps in these stairs tell the story.

Looking up into the Void and at the Trapped Plaster
When I get down to the bottom of the stairs, I can look up and see both the water stains in this part of the house and the structure put in place to trap the the plaster that was being dumped in this part of the house during a previous remodeling project.

Under the New Stairs
Here's a view of the underside of the new stairs. What catches my eyes, though, are the small shims stuck between the risers and the middle range of wood.

The Stairs from the Side
From the side, this litte staircase seems pretty sturdy, but

Up the Stairs from the Basement
the stairs look even sturdier when you look at them straight on. I'm not sure, however, that these stairs are finished. I mean, will there be some kind of covering used to protect the stairs from damage.

Down the Stairs into the Basement
Counterintuitively, the view from the top of the stairs down looks much like it's opposite, and I had to orient the pictures in the same direction to make them make sense visually.
honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home