Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Day Seven: A Continuing Series of Micro-Catastrophes in the House of Slippery Wind

I'm getting a little tired of the unending bad news during this remodeling project, but Nancy has the right frame of mind about this: Whatever new problems they find with the house they will fix. Sure, it will cost us money, but they will fix it all.

Today, I called Dave on his cellphone to verify they had no problem with the garbage I left them to cart away, to tell him to try Bruegger's on Union Street for lunch, and to ask him how things were going. The last part led to problems. Dave said that they found wet wood in the kitchen and wood at the top of the stairs that turned to powder. This news filled with with a slight feeling of dread, but (before I could get home to see things for myself) Nancy called me at work to tell me that we'd just received a stop-work order from the city and (luckily) that George said he'd take care of it. (When I got home, I noticed that the order didn't list our names or our house number, but we assume that was just a clerical error.)


Partial Floorboard in the Kitchen Subfloor

Coincidentally, I found this gap in the subflooring yesterday (and even took a picture of it from below), but today I got to see it from above (after raising the plywood that covered it up). This, however, wasn't an example of wet wood in the kitchen floor.


Void in the Floor by the Kitchen Sink

I'm not sure about this opening in the kitchen floor. Maybe it's what was left behind after Dave and John removed a wet board, but it doesn't appear that there was any wet wood around this area.


Close up of the Rotted Floor near the Future Front Door

However, here's where I found the water damage. I should have expected this problem. This area is at the top of the basement stairs (either set), and the area right below it in the basement shows some real water damage (though I haven't worried about it too much since that area is mostly a solid rock wall). We planned to get a new gutter system in place to divert the water away from here and then to replace the damaged wood, but now we might have to add this to our renovation.

The day today was quite warm, especially for February: in the mid-fifties and fairly sunny. So the house isn't too cold right now. But there's a cold wind seeping through this side of the house. I can feel it anywhere in the demolition area, but especially right here.


The View through the Quondam Wall at the Top of the Basement Stairs

If I stand at the top of the basement stairs, I can now see through this wall. Dave and John did a lot of demolition today.


The Wall in the TV Room that Will Soon Disappear

After Tim and I carefully reviewed the changes wrought to our house today (and after we collected a few of the tubes of the knob-and-tube wiring out of the rafters of the kitchen), we moved the two shelving units, the sidetable, and the lamp out of this room--just in case the guys are ready to take out this short soffit-like wall out soon.

honi soit qui mal y pense

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin Mallory said...

Can you post a wide shot of the kitchen? I can't picture it.

4:15 PM, February 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home