Sunday, February 12, 2006

The End of the Basement Closets

Today, I could have spent the day packing up the kitchen or tearing out a closet. I opted for the latter, went down to the basement, and spent the day getting filthy as I pulled the closet apart, piece by piece.


The Last Basement Closet Just before Time Caught up with It

This is the last closet in the corner, soon after I began dismantling it. I was considering leaving this one in, but I found it too unattractive to leave in and I wanted to make allow space along the wall for a refrigerator and a stove.


The Ceiling's Radiator Exposed

Once I finished tearing down the closet, I uncovered the last bit of the fourteen-foot-long radiator that sits near the ceiling of the basement. This elongated radiator is much more attractive than the lousy closets that cluttered up the basement.


The Corner sans Closet

This isn't much of a picture, but here's what the area looks like. It's difficult to get a good picture here, since this area is behind the plastic barrier between where the work is taking place and the rest of the basement. You'll note that a vagrant wire is now hanging from the radiator. I need to make sure this baby gets neutralized before this project is done.


A Rat's Nest of Wires

And this wire isn't the only wire we have to worry about. Here are the wires that Dave and John exposed on Friday. I can hardly imagine the process of reorganizing these wires and all the other wires in this house. My hope is that this project will finally update all the wiring in the house and eliminate the rest of the knob and tube wiring in the house.


The Box of Wires

In the middle of this nest of wires is this quizzical box, which is a total mess. Soon this will be gone, thankfully.


The Angel of the Basement Shot through the Heart

Another item uncovered on Friday is this human-like figure. The outline of this creature, I suppose, was made from some kind of fusebox, and someone added the facial features to the figure to finish the creation. A large wire pierces its heart.


The Remains of the Closet

At the end of the day, I had created this new pile of wood to discard. I also retained a small pile of wood to repair parts of the wall in the basement. I've probably kept too much wood, so I expect to go through everything in the basement one more time after Dave and John are done in the basement. At that point, I'll throw out the wood I don't think I'll need, and I'll work on patching painting the wall I've just completed exposing.

Since it's getting late now, I think I'll put off packing up the rest of the kitchen until tomorrow. I'll be here for much of the morning to confer with Tom the plumber, so I might do some packing then as well.

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home