Thursday, March 02, 2006

Day Sixteen: A Whole Lotta Nothing, and Growing

To solve one of the problems from yesterday, I called Chris the electrician and asked him to make sure that the alleyway security light wouldn't come on. And he made sure that happened. Unfortunately, I didn't know to ask him to make sure that the electricity was on on the third floor, so that we could see in the bathroom. And I didn't think to ask Tom the plumber to make sure any radiators on the second floor worked, so he cut the pipe to Tim's radiator, which was the last radiator above the first floor that got any heat at all. Every day Tom does something another radiator goes out of service. I don't think he's necessarily responsible for all of these, but still it would be good to have more working radiators.


The Old Electrical Box, Discarded

Today, our old electrical box was retired. The new one now has fourteen spaces filled.


Wires Cleared from and Debris Added to the Back Floor of the Kitchen

This photo shows that the rat's nest of wire is practically gone, but in its place has arrived piles of debris from taking apart one end of the bathroom floor.


The View from the Kitchen up through the Missing Floor to the Bathroom

The view up to the kitchen is pretty grim.


Straight up through the Missing Ceiling of the Kitchen to the Ceiling of the Bathroom

But the situation facing us seems a little more daunting when I look through the entire height of the two floors the guys still have to renovate.


A Bit of Rotted Wood from the Walls of the Kitchen

This rotted wood, I assume, is the reason the back of the bathroom floor has been removed--so that Dave and John can reach and then remove and replace all the rotten wood.


A Little Pipe Removed Today

It is pretty amazing how much pipe Tom could take out in a single day. Too bad this didn't get carted away today as well.


A Stylish Twist of Copper Pipe Where a Nest of Pipe Used to Be

There used to be tons of pipe in this little corner of the bathroom, but now there's nothing more than this single attractive copper pipe.


A Bit of Removed Pipe with What I Assume is Asbestos

This pile of heat pipe surprised me. I assume some of the insulation on this pipe, which is primarily corrugated cardboard, is actually asbestos. But maybe I'm wrong.


The New Fork for the Drain Pipe

This is evidence of Tom's progress at moving the drain pipe from the corner of the kitchen to a chase by the fireplace in the dining room.


Roof Tiles Nancy Found on Our Lawn Yesterday

Nancy found these roofing tiles on our lawn yesterday, but she couldn't find a gap in the ceiling tiles on the roof, so she thought we were in the clear. Unfortunately, I found the gap in the tiles this morning before I left for work. Now we have another repair to work on. The guy I called about the roofing and the pointing has not called me back yet, so I'll have to try someone else soon. I did call him tonight, though, in case he just couldn't get through to us over the past couple of days because our digital phone service was out.


The New Entrance to the Bathroom

This was the beautiful new entrance to the bathroom today. They have blocked the door to discourage people and dogs from entering the bathroom and falling down through the floor.


The Void at the Back of the Bathroom

And this is the main reason the workmen think we might fall down to the first floor.


The Explanation for the Plastic Tubing

This explains the plastic tubing from yesterday. It feeds the pipes that run the shower and sink upstaris.

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home