Thursday, March 30, 2006

Day Thirty-Six: Spring and Drang

I made it home by about five today (a good sight better than usual for this week), and spring was everywhere. When I finally left the windowless room I was in all day and exited the building, the world smelled of spring. At home, I walked outside a bit, collecting bits of trash from the alley, but the world was warm and moist in my nostrils, so it was a good end to an arduous week. Tomorrow, I'm taking the day off, so I can read grants for another state and do other work-related jobs that aren't truly work-related.


The Refined Stairwell to the Basement

I was surprised to discover that John had already set up wallboard inside the stairwell to the basement. It looks pretty good, and now I'm starting to think about the upcoming process of painting all the wallboard that's going up. (That's not part of the remodeling project.


The Way to the Basement

To make space for the basement stairs, Dave and John had to extend the triangular wall that supports the stairs from the first to the second floor. John also sheetrocked this today.


The Bathroom Wall, Awaiting a Vanity

This wallboard, where the vanity will be, apparently has covered up a bunch of easily accessible knob and tube wiring. This is part of the Drang of the day, since I wanted to remove as much of this wiring as possible, and this was one of the best opportunities for doing this.


The Back of the Bathroom

This shot of the bathroom shows that John is beginning to work on the details of preparing the walls there. He's even started to smooth over the screw heads in the walls.


Shattered Ash under the Boiler

The boiler is still dead. I did leave a message about the boiler and the knob and tube wiring for George today, and he appears to have dealt with the boiler issue. Tim reported that John told him that Chris the electrician explained that there's no trouble with the wiring and that Tom the plumber will have to come tomorrow because the problem is that all of the dust worked up has somehow kept the boiler from working. I've known for a week that the dust was clogging the boiler, which has burned the dust into little carbon wafers that have dropped to the floor. These pieces might seem solid, but they are as solid as dust.

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home