Day Twenty-Nine: A Too-Much Day
Lots happened today, even though the changes to the house were a little subtle at first.
But let's start with my discussion with George today. We're going to get electric heat in the bathroom with its own thermostat. This system will consist of one three-foot heating strip along the back wall and a four-foot strip near the door to enter the bathroom. We decided it was stupid to continue to leave the bathroom as an unheated room in the house. There's a cost to this change, of course.
Next, I talked to him about putting in hardwood flooring in the back hall. He said we could put in pre-finished hardwood (oak) flooring. George will try to get the floor guy (who will also provide the tile for our bathroom) to come out to the house and measure on Friday. I'll be taking the day off on Friday (as I try to take vacation days before I'll lose them).
Finally, George talked about the upcoming inspections. He hopes to start these this week. First, the initial plumbing and initial electrical inspection. Once those are done and the "stickers for them" are up, we can have the framing inspection. After that inspection, they can put in the insulation and then go through the insulation inspection. After all of those, there won't be any more inspections until "the finals."

The Extension of the Platform on the Deck (with Omar, Max, and Duck)
I made it home late last night, so I didn't notice everything that happened. One little improvement I missed was the increase in the size of the platform outside the back door. Here you can see it with three dogs on it.

The Hallway at the Back of the House Will Be Fairly Low
Either yesterday or today, the guys leveled the ceiling in the back hall. That, by itself, is great, but that makes a low ceiling even lower.

Framing the Ceiling at the Back of the House
Here's how the new framing for that ceiling looks.

New Pipes in the Kitchen
The big change today was the plumbing. There are new pipes everywhere. Here's a big collection in the kitchen.

New Pipes under the Bathroom Floor
Here are a bunch of pipes under the bathroom floor, right under where the bathtub will be.

New Kitchen Sink Drain Pipe Running through the Basement
Here's the new drain pipe for the kitchen sink. You can barely see the stub of a pipe for the exterior faucet here. They took away the pipe that connected it weeks ago, so they still have to replace this.

The Drain Pipe Continuing Past the Basement Windows
It is impossible to tell from this shot, but these pipes slightly occlude the windows behind them. Not perfect, but I can handle it.

A New Pipe for I'm Not Sure What
This pipe in the basement slips up into the kitchen for some reason, maybe for the dishwasher, but I don't know for sure.

The Plumbing for the Double-Sink Vanity
I like the pattern the plumbing makes here, PVC against copper and lots of doubling.

The Right Wall of the Basement Stairway, Cleared of Plaster and Lath
I spent a bit over an hour today removing the plaster and lath from one wall of the basement stairway.

Where There Used to be a Note to Dave and John
But here's a better picture of the changes I wrought. Note that there's no longer a note to Dave and John from me. I pretty much cleaned this out, but I ended up with a few scratches and with splinters in my knuckles.

The Wood Pulled out of the Basement
Tom, the plumber had to remove a little of the framing for the downstairs bathroom so that the drain pipe could proceed through that space. So I took the opportunity to remove even more of that framing, along with some of the useless wood in the ceiling of the basement. (I forgot to include a picture of this change today, so I'll add it tomorrow.)

Lath and Plaster from the Basement Stairwell and the Third-Floor Bathroom
After I denuded the one wall, I went upstairs and pulled out as much plaster and other garbage as I could from the crawlspace off the third-floor bathroom. I still have much to do up there, but I'm making progress. This pictures shows the garbage I collected out of the house today.
honi soit qui mal y pense
But let's start with my discussion with George today. We're going to get electric heat in the bathroom with its own thermostat. This system will consist of one three-foot heating strip along the back wall and a four-foot strip near the door to enter the bathroom. We decided it was stupid to continue to leave the bathroom as an unheated room in the house. There's a cost to this change, of course.
Next, I talked to him about putting in hardwood flooring in the back hall. He said we could put in pre-finished hardwood (oak) flooring. George will try to get the floor guy (who will also provide the tile for our bathroom) to come out to the house and measure on Friday. I'll be taking the day off on Friday (as I try to take vacation days before I'll lose them).
Finally, George talked about the upcoming inspections. He hopes to start these this week. First, the initial plumbing and initial electrical inspection. Once those are done and the "stickers for them" are up, we can have the framing inspection. After that inspection, they can put in the insulation and then go through the insulation inspection. After all of those, there won't be any more inspections until "the finals."

The Extension of the Platform on the Deck (with Omar, Max, and Duck)
I made it home late last night, so I didn't notice everything that happened. One little improvement I missed was the increase in the size of the platform outside the back door. Here you can see it with three dogs on it.

The Hallway at the Back of the House Will Be Fairly Low
Either yesterday or today, the guys leveled the ceiling in the back hall. That, by itself, is great, but that makes a low ceiling even lower.

Framing the Ceiling at the Back of the House
Here's how the new framing for that ceiling looks.

New Pipes in the Kitchen
The big change today was the plumbing. There are new pipes everywhere. Here's a big collection in the kitchen.

New Pipes under the Bathroom Floor
Here are a bunch of pipes under the bathroom floor, right under where the bathtub will be.

New Kitchen Sink Drain Pipe Running through the Basement
Here's the new drain pipe for the kitchen sink. You can barely see the stub of a pipe for the exterior faucet here. They took away the pipe that connected it weeks ago, so they still have to replace this.

The Drain Pipe Continuing Past the Basement Windows
It is impossible to tell from this shot, but these pipes slightly occlude the windows behind them. Not perfect, but I can handle it.

A New Pipe for I'm Not Sure What
This pipe in the basement slips up into the kitchen for some reason, maybe for the dishwasher, but I don't know for sure.

The Plumbing for the Double-Sink Vanity
I like the pattern the plumbing makes here, PVC against copper and lots of doubling.

The Right Wall of the Basement Stairway, Cleared of Plaster and Lath
I spent a bit over an hour today removing the plaster and lath from one wall of the basement stairway.

Where There Used to be a Note to Dave and John
But here's a better picture of the changes I wrought. Note that there's no longer a note to Dave and John from me. I pretty much cleaned this out, but I ended up with a few scratches and with splinters in my knuckles.

The Wood Pulled out of the Basement
Tom, the plumber had to remove a little of the framing for the downstairs bathroom so that the drain pipe could proceed through that space. So I took the opportunity to remove even more of that framing, along with some of the useless wood in the ceiling of the basement. (I forgot to include a picture of this change today, so I'll add it tomorrow.)

Lath and Plaster from the Basement Stairwell and the Third-Floor Bathroom
After I denuded the one wall, I went upstairs and pulled out as much plaster and other garbage as I could from the crawlspace off the third-floor bathroom. I still have much to do up there, but I'm making progress. This pictures shows the garbage I collected out of the house today.
honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home