Dusting, Sweeping, and Ashing
We haven't been worrying much about cleaning the house, because it gets remarkably dirty remarkably fast with all the dust flying around. But, today, we did a little cleaning. We didn't have as much time to do it as we might like since Nancy also had to go grocery shopping and wash the clothes, since Tim and I had to get haircuts, and since we all had dinner at Judy and Bill Hohmann's in Kinderhook tonight. In our short time available, Tim and I cleaned and began to reorganize the basement and Nancy dusted the first floor, where I also did a tiny bit of sweeping.

The Brick Chimney of an Ancient Stove
Before this sight gets closed up for another generation or two, here's a picture of a vein of brick running through the stone wall of our house. From the plugged hole near the top of this picture and the cleanout at the bottom of this run of brick (see below), we surmise this is the chimney of an old stove.

The Ash Pulled out of the Bottom of the Ancient Chimney
While downstairs sweeping up the mess from this week's round of renovations, I decided to check out what was behind the little metal door at the bottom of the little brick chimney. There I found a significant pile of ash, which I scooped out, handful by handful, with my left hand, thereby creating this pile of ash behind the boiler.

The Area under the Stove Cleanout
After a few minutes of scooping and a few seconds of sweeping, this pile of ash was gone and the place a little bit cleaner.

The Workroom of the Basement in Process of Being Cleaned and Reorganized
While downstairs, though, Tim and I focused on sweeping the floors, dusting the tops of everything (jars, shelves, pipes), and rearranging furniture in the basement. We moved shelves and cleaned the thick dust under them. We cleaned the two large kitchen cabinets we'd saved, piled them atop one another and filled them with cans of paint. As we did this, we found a few more useless cans of paint and threw them away or moved them temporarily to the garage.
Tomorrow, we'll do a little more cleaning, if we have the time, and finish arranging furniture in the workroom.
honi soit qui mal y pense

The Brick Chimney of an Ancient Stove
Before this sight gets closed up for another generation or two, here's a picture of a vein of brick running through the stone wall of our house. From the plugged hole near the top of this picture and the cleanout at the bottom of this run of brick (see below), we surmise this is the chimney of an old stove.

The Ash Pulled out of the Bottom of the Ancient Chimney
While downstairs sweeping up the mess from this week's round of renovations, I decided to check out what was behind the little metal door at the bottom of the little brick chimney. There I found a significant pile of ash, which I scooped out, handful by handful, with my left hand, thereby creating this pile of ash behind the boiler.

The Area under the Stove Cleanout
After a few minutes of scooping and a few seconds of sweeping, this pile of ash was gone and the place a little bit cleaner.

The Workroom of the Basement in Process of Being Cleaned and Reorganized
While downstairs, though, Tim and I focused on sweeping the floors, dusting the tops of everything (jars, shelves, pipes), and rearranging furniture in the basement. We moved shelves and cleaned the thick dust under them. We cleaned the two large kitchen cabinets we'd saved, piled them atop one another and filled them with cans of paint. As we did this, we found a few more useless cans of paint and threw them away or moved them temporarily to the garage.
Tomorrow, we'll do a little more cleaning, if we have the time, and finish arranging furniture in the workroom.
honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home