A Mere Bagatelle of a Day
Today was a day to catch up with a few tiny projects. I finished reading the last of the newspapers that accumulated over the course of the week. I screwed the single board that broke off part of the back fence in the wind last week. (That whole section of fence--though quite small--will need replacing soon enough.) We cleaned the house a bit, but not too much. There's so much dust that Nancy's mopping seemed to have little effect: after the floor dried, it seemed almost as dusty as before, and Gate's footprints daintily decorate our floors. Tim and I reorganized the basement workroom and added light to the kitchen area in the basement. As much as we could, we neatened up the downstairs and put things away. And I ended the day by paying bills and figuring out how much money we will owe the contractor.

The Workroom, Reorganized
Here's Tim's and my major project. We reorganized this part of the basement, which had become quite a mess during the renovation, as we made space so we could carry out or make possible little projects. On the right, in this photograph, you can see two of our old kitchen cabinets. Tim and I stacked those yesterday and filled them with cans of paint.

The Washer and Dryer, Shrouded to Protect them from Renovations around Them
My last chore tonight was to cover the washer and dryer with drop cloths. I have to do this to keep these brand-new appliances from getting any more scratched than they already are. The dryer has a few scratches gained by being moved downstairs at the beginning of this project.

The Temporary Basement Sink in Action
Just so you can see our beautiful "kitchen" sink in action, I took a picture of it tonight. It's not a perfect setup, but it works. Luckily, Tim and I found a drain basket while rearranging the workroom, so we can now keep so many food particles from clogging up the flexible tubing that serves as a drain pipe.

The Basement Stove, with Extra Lighting
Tim also found a small fluorescent light, designed for camping. We hung it above the stove, significantly increasing the light in the "kitchen." I spent a while tonight working on a big pot of stew (beef, carrots, onions, rutabagas, celeriac, turnips, parsnips, asparagus, sweet potatoes, and peas), and it almost felt like working in a real kitchen.
honi soit qui mal y pense

The Workroom, Reorganized
Here's Tim's and my major project. We reorganized this part of the basement, which had become quite a mess during the renovation, as we made space so we could carry out or make possible little projects. On the right, in this photograph, you can see two of our old kitchen cabinets. Tim and I stacked those yesterday and filled them with cans of paint.

The Washer and Dryer, Shrouded to Protect them from Renovations around Them
My last chore tonight was to cover the washer and dryer with drop cloths. I have to do this to keep these brand-new appliances from getting any more scratched than they already are. The dryer has a few scratches gained by being moved downstairs at the beginning of this project.

The Temporary Basement Sink in Action
Just so you can see our beautiful "kitchen" sink in action, I took a picture of it tonight. It's not a perfect setup, but it works. Luckily, Tim and I found a drain basket while rearranging the workroom, so we can now keep so many food particles from clogging up the flexible tubing that serves as a drain pipe.

The Basement Stove, with Extra Lighting
Tim also found a small fluorescent light, designed for camping. We hung it above the stove, significantly increasing the light in the "kitchen." I spent a while tonight working on a big pot of stew (beef, carrots, onions, rutabagas, celeriac, turnips, parsnips, asparagus, sweet potatoes, and peas), and it almost felt like working in a real kitchen.
honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home