Saturday, March 11, 2006

The Trouble with Dachshunds and the Number 500

There is at least one point I forgot to make in yesterday's posting. Dave also told me yesterday--and this was part of the point of the title for the posting yesterday--that he needs to square up the kitchen next week. Apparently, the floor is perfectly level now, but the box that is the kitchen itself is out of square, and Dave needs to correct this, so that the cabinets won't cover one of the windows on long side of the kitchen.


One of the Tiny Pee Puddles I Find in the Basement Every Day

Ah, soon after the beginning of the day, I found this piddlypuddle on the floor in the basement, just about exactly where I cleaned up a puddle yesterday. This is one of the problems we're going to have with the basement. We plan to store the litter box, so we'll have to keep the basement door open all the time. Otherwise, Gate won't be able to reach his litter box. The only problem we will have is that the open door will be an invitation to the dogs to go downstairs to relieve themselves. We'll have to work on that problem.


Duck and Max Waiting to Go Down the Stairs of the Basement (Perhaps to Pee)

These are two of the animals I have to worry about.


Parget and a Black Adhesive over the Brick Walls of the Former Basement Bathroom

My day's project begins and ends here, in the dismantled bathroom in the basement. I think we're going to end up putting the slop sink in this space, which includes quite a bit of brick that was covered with parget generations ago. The parget itself was covered with a dark adhesive a generation ago, so that it could hold the plastic wall that once graced this micro-bathroom. The wall is gone; all that remains is the parget and the dark adhesive. A bit of parget also covers the window wells. My plan is to remove all the parget and to reveal the brick or rock beneath.


A Full View of the Framed-In Kitchen and its New Subflooring

Here's a good shot of the kitchen. I think it gives a sense of the greater openness of the new design for the kitchen. And, without anything within its walls, this room appears quite large.


Two Levels of Subflooring in the Bathroom

From the kitchen, I can look up and see this view of the subflooring. For some reason, Dave and John didn't take out all the original subflooring in the bathroom. They left a litte in and simply stuck the new subflooring over it.


The Bathroom's New Subflooring with Hanging Venting Tube

Here's a view of the sturdy new subflooring. Fortunately, the old venting system for the bathroom is still snaking through the place.


The New Pile of Lumber as Seen from the Back Roof of the House

Here's the huge pile of lumber that arrived at the house on Friday. I was up on the roof, looking for possible sources of leaks, so I thought I'd take a picture.


What I Imagine is the Source of Our Newly Discovered Roof Leak

My reason for being on the roof was to find the source of the roof leak. My assumption is that rain soaked into this bare wood and then dripped into the house, but I'm not at all sure this is the case, or even could be.


The Classic Window to Our Third-Floor Bathroom Window

Here's the window to the bathroom. I don't know what I like the most about this window: the rust, the crack, the taped used to repair the crack, or the bare wood around it.


The Other Three Windows along the Third-Floor Rooflet

And these are the four other beautiful windows overlooking the little flat roof off the third floor. They are just as beautiful as the one at the bathroom.


The Cracked Cap of One of the Parapet Walls of the House

One of the projects we want to work on is the pointing of the stone walls of the house and the cracks in the caps of our parapet walls. This is, by far, the worst example of cracking I can find.


The Messy Flashing Along the Roof's Edge

And here's the flashing on the roof, which has been nailed and glued in place, but which we worry is not doing its work properly anymore. I've called a roofer to look at this and give me a quote for fixing the flashing and replacing the shingles that fell off the roof. But I haven't heard back yet.


The Dust Barrier Removed to Reduce the Sense of Claustrophobia in the Basement "Kitchen"

I pulled down the plastic dust barrier today, so that I could work in the "kitchen" and not feel like I was in a tiny cave. The room isn't much more beautiful with this change, but I'm happy for it nonetheless.


The Progress I Made Today
By the end of the day, I'd put in some work in the basement and had made some progress removing the parget. The removal process is pretty slow, requiring me to use two different chisels and a hammer to encourage the parget off the walls and off the interiors of the window wells. But I made some progress, as you can see here.

The big news for the day was that the 500th visit was made to this blog today, only 70 days after it began. But I'm not sure who this is. It does not appear to be my in-laws, since they live over 100 miles from either of the Hudsons in Florida. So maybe it is my father, who is somehow enjoying spring training somewhere in Florida.

Domain Name qwest.net ? (Network)
IP Address 63.232.1.# (Qwest Communications)
63.232.1.212
ISP Qwest Communications
Location Continent : North America
Country : United States (Facts)
State : Florida
City : Hudson
Lat/Long : 28.3713, -82.6344 (Map)
Distance : 1,111 miles

Language English (United States)
en-us
Operating System Microsoft WinXP
Browser Internet Explorer 6.0
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Javascript version 1.3
Monitor Resolution : 1280 x 800
Color Depth : 32 bits

Time of Visit Mar 11 2006 7:32:38 pm
Last Page View Mar 11 2006 7:37:43 pm
Visit Length 5 minutes 5 seconds
Page Views 2
Referring URL
Visit Entry Page http://huthhouse.blogspot.com/
Visit Exit Page http://huthhouse.blo...thhouse_archive.html
Time Zone UTC-5:00
EST - Eastern Standard
EDT - Eastern Daylight Saving Time
Visitor's Time Mar 11 2006 7:32:38 pm
Visit Number 500

honi soit qui mal y pense

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin Mallory said...

Yes! See that is the kind of view of the kitchen I want! Sweet! Also, I can't believe the amount of stuff YOU'RE doing (and Tim apparently) over the weekends with like chiseling and everything. Sheesh. I can't wait for the changes tho.

11:10 AM, March 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home