And Then There Wasn't Light
The idea for today was simple enough: we would go to a lighting store and find a four- to five-foot light-bar. First, we decided to combine a couple of other projects with this search for lights. Before going to the lighting store, we went to the veterinarian's and bought some cat food for our sensitive cat. After the lighting store, we went to our tax person--a new addition to our life--and discovered that we owed a little less than last year (only about two thousand dollars).
But the most fun was the light store. After we entered the store, I remembered that we'd forgotten to bring one of the sample fixtures to make sure the color and design essentially matched the chosen lights. To speed up the process, Nancy stayed to talk to a salesman while I drove the two miles back to the house, returning with the toilet paper holder.
Here's what Nancy discovered in my absence: that there is no five-foot light-bar. The largest sequence of vanity lights in the store was thirty-six inches wide, and the largest in the catalog that Mickey (the salesman) gave us was forty-nine inches. And Mickey thinks that one long light-bar won't give us good lighting. He says we need lighting centered over both sinks of the vanity; otherwise, the lighting will be glancing of the sides of our faces. The problem with that solution is that the walls are already in and there is only one connection for a light, not two. We would have to have the guys reverse some of the work of constructing the wall in the bathroom. So now I'll have to call George on Monday to talk about this issue, especially since it could take up to four weeks to get one of these vanity lights in.
Then there was a problem with the toilet paper holder. I saw the problem but assumed it was my imagination, but Nancy was clear-headed enough to notice that the toilet paper holder was far too ornate for our tastes. It doesn't match the rest of the fixtures for the bathroom. So now I'll have to call George on Monday to talk about this issue.
This last problem reminded me that we never decided where the towel racks were going, and I don't think there's any place for the towel racks now--and certainly no place backed by a nailer. So we'll probably have a spart towel rack. The bloody things are expensive, so I'd like to return the spare. So now I'll have to call George on Monday to talk about this issue.
And that's not all. I have to ask George if he's heard from Dan about the flooring, since it's important that the flooring is ready on time. Otherwise, we'll have finished or near-finished floors without floors. Not exactly perfect. I also have to ask George what "paint-ready" means in our contract. Maybe it means we have to do the priming, and maybe it means the guys will do the priming and we get to do the painting.
I didn't do much on the house today. All I did was take out a section of floor tiles in the basement and under the dog crate. No time for anything else. Nancy and I both have important work-related projects we have to finish this weekend.
honi soit qui mal y pense
But the most fun was the light store. After we entered the store, I remembered that we'd forgotten to bring one of the sample fixtures to make sure the color and design essentially matched the chosen lights. To speed up the process, Nancy stayed to talk to a salesman while I drove the two miles back to the house, returning with the toilet paper holder.
Here's what Nancy discovered in my absence: that there is no five-foot light-bar. The largest sequence of vanity lights in the store was thirty-six inches wide, and the largest in the catalog that Mickey (the salesman) gave us was forty-nine inches. And Mickey thinks that one long light-bar won't give us good lighting. He says we need lighting centered over both sinks of the vanity; otherwise, the lighting will be glancing of the sides of our faces. The problem with that solution is that the walls are already in and there is only one connection for a light, not two. We would have to have the guys reverse some of the work of constructing the wall in the bathroom. So now I'll have to call George on Monday to talk about this issue, especially since it could take up to four weeks to get one of these vanity lights in.
Then there was a problem with the toilet paper holder. I saw the problem but assumed it was my imagination, but Nancy was clear-headed enough to notice that the toilet paper holder was far too ornate for our tastes. It doesn't match the rest of the fixtures for the bathroom. So now I'll have to call George on Monday to talk about this issue.
This last problem reminded me that we never decided where the towel racks were going, and I don't think there's any place for the towel racks now--and certainly no place backed by a nailer. So we'll probably have a spart towel rack. The bloody things are expensive, so I'd like to return the spare. So now I'll have to call George on Monday to talk about this issue.
And that's not all. I have to ask George if he's heard from Dan about the flooring, since it's important that the flooring is ready on time. Otherwise, we'll have finished or near-finished floors without floors. Not exactly perfect. I also have to ask George what "paint-ready" means in our contract. Maybe it means we have to do the priming, and maybe it means the guys will do the priming and we get to do the painting.
I didn't do much on the house today. All I did was take out a section of floor tiles in the basement and under the dog crate. No time for anything else. Nancy and I both have important work-related projects we have to finish this weekend.
honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home