Day Forty-Six: Life in the Electric City
My work life is crazy right now, with lots of interesting issues coming up every day. From yesterday, I have a significant records management controversy in New York City to deal with. Today, I found out that a proposal we put together was accepted and that I'll spend the end of May and beginning of June in Washington, DC. I reviewed my schedule for the next few months, and I'm out of town at least one night for every week until the second half of June.
So I didn't call any contractors today. And Nancy and I never chose a color for the siding for the house, so I didn't have that much to talk about.
We did, however, receive our second regular bill for the remodeling project, which is a remarkable nine times greater than the first bill. Another surprise, but things are coming along. The place is starting to look like a house again, though it is filthy and a mess. Luckily, we're out of town so much that we won't be able to clean much, and I'm still not sure how we're going to prime and paint. Maybe we'll stay home a little later than planned on Saturday, so we can get some of that done.
Thank goodness Tax Day is almost upon us!

The Back of the House, with the Ghostly Outline of the Old Electrical Service
Chris the electrician came to the house today, and most of the changes I can see are from the work he did. Sadly, he hasn't yet taken out the old subpanel yet, but maybe he will tomorrow. Most obviously, he has pulled the entire old electrical service wire and box off the back of the house, and a pentimento of it remains.

The Entire Back of the House
With the unnecessary wire off the back of the house, the area is looking almost good. But, boy, we could use some more siding.

Layers of House
Every time they take something off the back of the house they peel off part of the layers of the place, leaving these almost beautiful strata visible for once.

The Hole through which the Electrical Service Wire Burrowed into the House
Here's the hole where our electrical service entered the house for many years. Soon enough, it will be covered up with siding.

Outlets in the Kitchen
One of the jobs Chris did today was add outlets to the wires in the kitchen. He put them everywhere, and it's almost shocking to see how many there are. These outlets will eventually rest on either side of the corner sink--a sink location I'm still not sure I'll appreciate. Next Friday, the lower cabinets need to be in place, because the counter guys are coming to template the counter top. A week later, they will put the counter top in place. By then, we'll think it looks like a kitchen.

The Opening Switches Leading into the Bathroom
Upstairs, in the bathroom, Chris also added a few switches and outlets. These are the ones right by the door.
honi soit qui mal y pense
So I didn't call any contractors today. And Nancy and I never chose a color for the siding for the house, so I didn't have that much to talk about.
We did, however, receive our second regular bill for the remodeling project, which is a remarkable nine times greater than the first bill. Another surprise, but things are coming along. The place is starting to look like a house again, though it is filthy and a mess. Luckily, we're out of town so much that we won't be able to clean much, and I'm still not sure how we're going to prime and paint. Maybe we'll stay home a little later than planned on Saturday, so we can get some of that done.
Thank goodness Tax Day is almost upon us!

The Back of the House, with the Ghostly Outline of the Old Electrical Service
Chris the electrician came to the house today, and most of the changes I can see are from the work he did. Sadly, he hasn't yet taken out the old subpanel yet, but maybe he will tomorrow. Most obviously, he has pulled the entire old electrical service wire and box off the back of the house, and a pentimento of it remains.

The Entire Back of the House
With the unnecessary wire off the back of the house, the area is looking almost good. But, boy, we could use some more siding.

Layers of House
Every time they take something off the back of the house they peel off part of the layers of the place, leaving these almost beautiful strata visible for once.

The Hole through which the Electrical Service Wire Burrowed into the House
Here's the hole where our electrical service entered the house for many years. Soon enough, it will be covered up with siding.

Outlets in the Kitchen
One of the jobs Chris did today was add outlets to the wires in the kitchen. He put them everywhere, and it's almost shocking to see how many there are. These outlets will eventually rest on either side of the corner sink--a sink location I'm still not sure I'll appreciate. Next Friday, the lower cabinets need to be in place, because the counter guys are coming to template the counter top. A week later, they will put the counter top in place. By then, we'll think it looks like a kitchen.

The Opening Switches Leading into the Bathroom
Upstairs, in the bathroom, Chris also added a few switches and outlets. These are the ones right by the door.
honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home