Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Day Thirty-Nine: Wallboarded Dust

With the weather turning cold and a night of black rain, I decided to call heating contractors today to get someone to fix our gas boiler. No luck. I can't go to the place that installed the boiler, since they no do residential work. The first contractor I called said they couldn't help me now and did mostly oil heating (not gas). They recommended me to another (and fairly obnoxious) contractor that said they couldn't take me till Friday. I said fine, but they said they didn't want to take my name because they might not be able to get to me till next week. I explained that that was fine, because all I needed to do was get started, but they wouldn't budge. So I stopped looking. The trouble wasn't worth it, and I didn't have the time.

But they I got home, and the house is sitting stable at 55.8 degrees Fahrenheit, so I decided to try once again to search for a heating contractor. I've got another name to try, so I'll call tomorrow.

I haven't heard back from Dan, the flooring guy, so I'll follow up with George tomorrow. I also have lots of questions for George and a few for Dave and John. I'll be here tomorrow for a little bit in the morning, so I'll have a chance to ask them about the lack of a new outlet in the basement, verify the nailing boards in the hallway wall, and apologize for the cold.


The Kitchen Wallboarded Up

Lots of progress today. Have Dave join John, so John doesn't have to put up sheets of wallboard alone, really speeds up the progress. The entire kitchen is already wallboarded.


The Left Side of the Kitchen, Wallboarded and Plywooded

On one side of the kitchen is a feature I don't understand. Instead of wallboard in one corner, they've used a small sheet of plywood. I'll try to remember to find out why tomorrow.


The Jump Connection between the New Electrical Box and the Old Electrical Service

Even though the guys have finished with the wallboarding, there are still a few features left incomplete. The biggest of these is this ridiculous junction between the new e-box and the old electrical service. Unfortunately, we don't know when National Grid will come to switch the service. Just another delay.


The Unwallboarded Side of the Back Hallway

On the other side of the kitchen wall is this hallway wall, which isn't wallboarded yet--which is good since the nailers I need for the coat rack aren't in yet.


The Wallboarded and Soffited Ceiling of the Dining Room

Somehow, the guys also finished wallboarding the entire dining room ceiling. This now makes clear the obviousness of the new soffit.


Wallboard Dust on the Dining Room Floor

All this work has caused a huge amount of wallboard dust. The floor in the dining room is almost white with dust.


Wallboarding around the Side Door

I didn't notice until later tonight that the guys added wallboard around the side door.


The End of Tonight's Fire

Finally, here's a picture of the fire Tim and I nurtured tonight. No-one stayed in the living room to enjoy the fire, but I think it cut the cold a little. This little fire might actually have kept the temperature inside the house from dropping tonight. Every time I checked, the thermometer reading was 55.8.

honi soit qui mal y pense

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin Mallory said...

Oh my gosh!! See, I came to see the house last weekend so I would be up-to-date but it changes so quickly!! MAN! That's awesome.

5:39 PM, April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home