Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Good, the Bad, and the Drippy

Hampton Inn, Room 220, Bordentown, New Jersey

In the filtered light of this rainy morning, the cabinets still look good perched on their little two-by-fours to raise their bottoms up to the height of the proposed floor, but we found some damage on one cabinet, we are worried that Gate is going to start sharpening his claws on the cabinets, and the leaking from the rain is much worse than we originally thought.


The End Cabinet Opening into the Dining Room

Here's the end cabinet of the kitchen. It has a bit of a strange shape, a beveled face that makes a point that stretches into the diningroom. I'm not sure what we'll store in this cabinet yet, but whatever it is it will be easy to access. And this cabinet is the essential stitch that will hold the kitchen and dining room together.


The Double Pantry Cabinet

We have lived for a long time with virtually no pantry space, so this giant cabinet, with these rollout shelves, will be a boon to our existence.


The Pot Storage Cabinet

I haven't yet decided if I think this will work well, but this cabinet is about twice as large as the space we had previously used for the storage of pots, so I think it should work out. I'm just not positive there's enough height in here for all the pots we have.


The Corner "Super-Susan"

When it came to susans, we spared no expense. We went for the Super-Susan, which was a lot sturdier, instead of the cheaper lazy-susan. This beast can hold quite a bit and has beautiful wooden turntables and an interesting double-hinged door, so I expect the best.


Where the Corner Sink Will Go

The space for the corner sink is just a big gap now, but soon the floor will be put in, and I expect the sink itself to be in by sometime next week. I may be an optimist.


The Damaged Cabinet Face

Before I arose (at home) this morning, Nancy discovered that the face of one of the cabinets is damaged. This picture doesn't quite show the damage, which is outlined here by the flash. We will have to get this replaced. (This is the "bad" part of today's posting, by the way.)


Water Coming in Along the Back Wall

Also before I arose this morning, Nancy discovered that the water leaking into the house was much more serious than we had thought yesterday. Much of the back wall of the unfinished half of the basement was wet.


More Nearby Leaking

The leaking included this wet spot right under where the old door once stood. On the other side of this door now is nothing more than a sheet of soaking wet plywood.


The New Leak in the Corner of the Basement

The corner of the basement is seeping water, though I'm not sure how this water is getting into the house. There are only a few small spots above this corner that are not still covered with the old siding.


The Tiny Bit of Leaking in the Basement "Light" Well

Strangely, the old source of our serious basement leak--in the light well under the current back door--is virtually completely dry now, even after at least a full day of constant rain.


A Tour (Through the Rain) of the Source of Today's Leaks

I decided to tour the source of the water leaks for today's video tour. Fortunately, the wet spots by the back door aren't as damp today as they were yesterday.

I left Nancy and Tim at home today so I could go to New Jersey, where I'll be reviewing grants tomorrow. I'll get home late tomorrow, probably after dark, but I'll take some time to review the day's changes to the house.

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home