Day Fifty-Eight: Almost a Bathroom
Affinia Manhattan, Room 1715, New York, New York
I'm in New York City today and blogging about changes that Nancy and Tim have seen but which I have not yet seen. Luckily for me, they were able to post today's images to this blog for me, and now I can add some commentary to keep all three readers of the blog up to date.
I left home a little late today, so I had a chance to talk to the guys. John was there first, and I greeted him with "I hope you like green," which apparently he did. He thought we'd done a good job painting, and he said Nancy did a great job staining. (The latter was good to hear from him, since Nancy asked me multiple times yesterday if the staining was okay.)
Dave arrived after John, and we spoke a little, but I had to go up onto the third-floor roof and add a bit of sealent around the anchors for the ice-loosener up there. I found a couple of pieces of siding to the eaves up there, which I threw away downstairs.
Next, Pat came, and I told him what a good job he'd done. He was alone, so I decided that I'd never meet Beverly. He expected to be at the home for only a little while, and soon enough someone else arrived delivering the extra hickory planks. Unfortunately, that was the end of Pat's work for the day. The box of hickory was all white, instead of mixed, so he didn't have what he needed to finish the floor. He explained that he'd have to leave for the day and that he didn't know when he'd be back. Then he told Dave, John, and me that he'd have to put rosin paper over the entire floor to protect it until he returned. The three of us had no idea what he was talking about. After all, aren't floors made for walking upon? (I forgot to ask Nancy if the rosin paper was laid over the floor, and it's too late to ask her now.)
The last thing I saw at the house today was John and Dave carrying the double vanity into the house. What amazed me about this was how huge the vanity was. It has tons of storage space, so much of the stuff that we used to keep in a kitchen closet we can now keep under the sinks in the vanity.
Back at work, I called George and asked him to give us a quote for siding the front of the house, but I told the story this way:
George said he would get us a quote, but he didn't understand why we wouldn't want to side the back porch instead. I said that Nancy didn't care about the back porch, but she wanted the house to look better from the street, and this way she wouldn't have to paint so much of the porch over the summer. I explained that I tried to convince Nancy that there was no reason to do the front of the house, since no-one could see the front and the back at the same time.
At home tonight, Nancy (who is exhausted) worked on staining and poly'ing more of the woodwork. She told me that she stopped working when she ran out of space to keep the wood she'd coated. She also wondered if the dogs would be hurt by the fumes from all this staining taking place in the room where they sleep.

Privacy Section of the Bathroom with Baseboard Molding
Here's one corner of the bathroom where the guys have installed the baseboard molding Nancy stained yesterday. It looks pretty good in the picture, so Nancy should be happy. She didn't get a chance to poly the molding over the weekend, so she'll have to poly it in place--and it needs a double coat. Luckily, the guys say this is easy to do.

The Double Vanity in Place but not Ready to Use
You can see that the vanity is quite large. Nancy is happy because she will be able to store all her hair tools and supplies (blowdryer, straightener, etc.) in one of the drawers and still have plenty of storage space left.

The Double Vanity and the New Bathroom Door
Here we can see the new bathroom door in place. This door was covered with plastic all weekend, and Nancy had no plans to stain it. She will now stain it after the guys remove the door of the doorway for her.

A Better View of the New Bathroom Door
It's interesting to me that there are five doors on the second floor, each quite close to the others and that the door to the bathroom is the best of them all. The doors on the bedroom are hollow wood doors, and the door to the third floor is a solid wood door but covered in too many layers of paint.

The Stained Pocket Door in Place but Handleless
Nancy did get a chance to stain (but not to poly) the pocket door yesterday, and this looks pretty good in place. The poly'ing still remains to be done, and the door also needs a handle. Nancy tells me that the handle should have come with the door, but since it didn't the guys had to order it.
We're note positive what will happen next. Nancy says that the guys say that a plumber will be at the house tomorrow to hook up the rest of the plumbing. But when I talked to George today he was noncommittal about that. I did get him to say that he thought he could guarantee we would have a working bathroom by May 9th (the day before Nancy and I are having a party with a couple dozen attendees). George also didn't give me any sense when Chris the electrician would come to finish the electrical work. (I'm anxious to have light in the kitchen and bathroom, but Chris has been talking to Nancy about things, and she's told him he can remove the fan in front of the bedrooms, since it would only serve to blow smoke away from the smoke detector. Finally, I have to call the lighting company tomorrow to find out if our vanity lights have arrived yet.
We're getting close.
honi soit qui mal y pense
I'm in New York City today and blogging about changes that Nancy and Tim have seen but which I have not yet seen. Luckily for me, they were able to post today's images to this blog for me, and now I can add some commentary to keep all three readers of the blog up to date.
I left home a little late today, so I had a chance to talk to the guys. John was there first, and I greeted him with "I hope you like green," which apparently he did. He thought we'd done a good job painting, and he said Nancy did a great job staining. (The latter was good to hear from him, since Nancy asked me multiple times yesterday if the staining was okay.)
Dave arrived after John, and we spoke a little, but I had to go up onto the third-floor roof and add a bit of sealent around the anchors for the ice-loosener up there. I found a couple of pieces of siding to the eaves up there, which I threw away downstairs.
Next, Pat came, and I told him what a good job he'd done. He was alone, so I decided that I'd never meet Beverly. He expected to be at the home for only a little while, and soon enough someone else arrived delivering the extra hickory planks. Unfortunately, that was the end of Pat's work for the day. The box of hickory was all white, instead of mixed, so he didn't have what he needed to finish the floor. He explained that he'd have to leave for the day and that he didn't know when he'd be back. Then he told Dave, John, and me that he'd have to put rosin paper over the entire floor to protect it until he returned. The three of us had no idea what he was talking about. After all, aren't floors made for walking upon? (I forgot to ask Nancy if the rosin paper was laid over the floor, and it's too late to ask her now.)
The last thing I saw at the house today was John and Dave carrying the double vanity into the house. What amazed me about this was how huge the vanity was. It has tons of storage space, so much of the stuff that we used to keep in a kitchen closet we can now keep under the sinks in the vanity.
Back at work, I called George and asked him to give us a quote for siding the front of the house, but I told the story this way:
George, the guys did the worst possible job with the siding. [Pause.] Now, Nancy wants to get the front of the house sided.
George said he would get us a quote, but he didn't understand why we wouldn't want to side the back porch instead. I said that Nancy didn't care about the back porch, but she wanted the house to look better from the street, and this way she wouldn't have to paint so much of the porch over the summer. I explained that I tried to convince Nancy that there was no reason to do the front of the house, since no-one could see the front and the back at the same time.
At home tonight, Nancy (who is exhausted) worked on staining and poly'ing more of the woodwork. She told me that she stopped working when she ran out of space to keep the wood she'd coated. She also wondered if the dogs would be hurt by the fumes from all this staining taking place in the room where they sleep.

Privacy Section of the Bathroom with Baseboard Molding
Here's one corner of the bathroom where the guys have installed the baseboard molding Nancy stained yesterday. It looks pretty good in the picture, so Nancy should be happy. She didn't get a chance to poly the molding over the weekend, so she'll have to poly it in place--and it needs a double coat. Luckily, the guys say this is easy to do.

The Double Vanity in Place but not Ready to Use
You can see that the vanity is quite large. Nancy is happy because she will be able to store all her hair tools and supplies (blowdryer, straightener, etc.) in one of the drawers and still have plenty of storage space left.

The Double Vanity and the New Bathroom Door
Here we can see the new bathroom door in place. This door was covered with plastic all weekend, and Nancy had no plans to stain it. She will now stain it after the guys remove the door of the doorway for her.

A Better View of the New Bathroom Door
It's interesting to me that there are five doors on the second floor, each quite close to the others and that the door to the bathroom is the best of them all. The doors on the bedroom are hollow wood doors, and the door to the third floor is a solid wood door but covered in too many layers of paint.

The Stained Pocket Door in Place but Handleless
Nancy did get a chance to stain (but not to poly) the pocket door yesterday, and this looks pretty good in place. The poly'ing still remains to be done, and the door also needs a handle. Nancy tells me that the handle should have come with the door, but since it didn't the guys had to order it.
We're note positive what will happen next. Nancy says that the guys say that a plumber will be at the house tomorrow to hook up the rest of the plumbing. But when I talked to George today he was noncommittal about that. I did get him to say that he thought he could guarantee we would have a working bathroom by May 9th (the day before Nancy and I are having a party with a couple dozen attendees). George also didn't give me any sense when Chris the electrician would come to finish the electrical work. (I'm anxious to have light in the kitchen and bathroom, but Chris has been talking to Nancy about things, and she's told him he can remove the fan in front of the bedrooms, since it would only serve to blow smoke away from the smoke detector. Finally, I have to call the lighting company tomorrow to find out if our vanity lights have arrived yet.
We're getting close.
honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home