Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Day Sixty: The Countertop Arrives

I came back home from New York City today, so I didn't see any of the following changes until about nine o'clock.

The big news is that the Corian countertop and sink are in--with a countertop long enough for a seven-foot person to sleep upon. It looks pretty great, but I don't think any of these pictures do the kitchen (or bathroom) any justice. I'll take pictures during the daylight tomorrow to make sure I've captured a more accurate view of these changes.

I also hadn't seen the changes of the past two days until today. So I got to enjoy the new hardware in the shower and the new bathroom vanity. And the new wooden windowsills in the bathroom and kitchen look good.

Finally, Dennis the roofing guy called, so I'll have to call him back tomorrow. And George called with the price for siding the front of the house, so I'll have to call him back with a decision, but I first have to ask him how much money we now owe--so I can figure out how much we'll want to pay.


The Marble Threshold into the Bathroom

In the entrance to the bathroom, Dave and John installed a little marble threshold. We can't step on it yet, since it has to dry into place.


The Chestwall, Topped with a Board

I've decided that the soi-disant kneewall is more of a chestwall, but it looks pretty good with its new wooden topper. Nancy says this will look good with a plant hanging down from it.


The Bathtub with Shower Rod, Liner, and Hair Care Products

Nancy went out today and found a cheap (and fairly flimsy) six-foot shower curtain rod, and Dave and John installed it. We might soon try to find a better curtain rod to replace it. Nancy also bought a shower curtain liner, but it's only six-feet wide, so it's a bit too narrow for the bathtub. We might have to special-order a wide enough shower curtain. Since we'll be using the shower tomorrow, Nancy has already filled it with her hair care products.


Our New and, Yes, Large Shower Head

Okay, the new shower head didn't look very large in the pictures I saw while I was in New York City, but in person it is huge, as I think this photograph demonstrates.


The Molding around the Pocket Door

Today, John put the molding around the pocket door, and this picture also shows how the pocket door rests suspended off the floor.


The Water Lines for the Washing Machine

The hot and cold water are ready to be connected to the washing machine, though I'm not sure when this will happen. However the toilet and the sinks in the bathroom are scheduled to be connected tomorrow. This will mean that we have a fully functional bathroom but without any light.

And we have no electricity in the kitchen either. George wants to wait until our vanity lights are in before he brings Chris the electrician back, but I'll have to call him to tell him that we can't wait any longer for light. Our other light problem is that we now have to buy a new light for the second floor hallway. Another pain.


The New Sill in the Laundry Room Window

Here's a pretty good picture of the last sill to go in.


The Begining of the New Countertop in the Kitchen

The countertop begins here, where the kitchen extends into the dining room. Note that the countertop is rounded on both the top and the bottom, but the edge of it still looks pretty square. I think that look fits with our Mission style cabinets.


The Almost-Complete Kitchen

Here is a picture of the kitchen itself. But wait for tomorrow's picture before deciding what you think of it. A picture taken during the day will better capture the color of the walls, floors, etc.


The Corner Sink in Place

Here's our nice new kitchen sink. It's amazing how much space rests behind this sink.


Our Largest Uninterrupted Expanse of Counter Space

Finally, a shot of the longest section of our new huge kitchen counter.

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home