Day Sixty-Eight: The Almost Last Day
When John arrived today, he said that today would be his and Dave's last day here, so I thanked them for their work on our place and said good-bye. But things didn't turn out so simple. Instead, the framing for the new sliding glass door had to be rebuilt, since it was out of square and poorly supported. Big surprise. The framing of the door remains for tomorrow, as does the final remove of the old drain pipe in the final removal of the drain pipe in the kitchen. So tomorrow is now set to be the last day, but I'm not sure everything will be done by then.
The bad news about all of this is that we expected the guys still to be here on Wednesday, when the Sears guy will return to fix the washing machine. Since they might not be here anymore, Nancy will probably have to take the day off to wait for the repairman to arrive. But she's willing to do that to make sure we have a working washing machine. I'll be driving out to western New York that day.
The big news for today is from Saturday, when we received our latest bill from George. It didn't include the promised detail on the other change orders (for some carpentry and electrical work), so I have no way to figure out our final payment. I gave George a call today and explained that I'd need those final figures to figure out our finances and pay this bill. He said to give him a day or two to finish the estimates.
I also talked to him about the remaining work: the trap in the kitchen for the dishwasher (as required by Schenectady plumbing code), the slop sink in the basement, the removal of the pipe downstairs, the smoke detectors, the doorbell we discovered on Friday was non-functioning, the broken cabinet door, and the unstable countertop and epoxy on the cabinets in the kitchen. He did verify that the wiring is in place to put up a hard-wired smoke detector on the third floor, so Chris apparently didn't forget anything. He will also be putting the light in Tim's bedroom.
George called Nancy sometime today--I was in a large vault for most of the day that received no cell signals--and he said that Chris the electrician would be here on Friday to finish the electrical work, which should take only a single extra day.

The New Sliding Door to the Back Porch
Here's the beautiful new sliding door. The door slides easily, which is a big change. Best of all, the door seems to lock firmly and to be in no danger of wearing away the way the old door did. We are now more secure in this house than we have been in years.

The Repaired Ceiling in the Basement
Here's a pictures of the ceiling near the staircase in the basement. John did this repair and pointed it out to me this morning--otherwise, who knows when I would have discovered it?

The Two Top Shelves of China
From yesterday, here are the two shelves where I put all the china. They are high up, requiring a chair to reach them, but still they're pretty easy to get to.

The Shelf that Perfectly Holds all the China Bowls, Plates, and Saucers
What I like best, however, is that I can store all the basic pieces of the china on one big shelf of the corner cabinet, along with a few other pieces. And they fit so well.
honi soit qui mal y pense
The bad news about all of this is that we expected the guys still to be here on Wednesday, when the Sears guy will return to fix the washing machine. Since they might not be here anymore, Nancy will probably have to take the day off to wait for the repairman to arrive. But she's willing to do that to make sure we have a working washing machine. I'll be driving out to western New York that day.
The big news for today is from Saturday, when we received our latest bill from George. It didn't include the promised detail on the other change orders (for some carpentry and electrical work), so I have no way to figure out our final payment. I gave George a call today and explained that I'd need those final figures to figure out our finances and pay this bill. He said to give him a day or two to finish the estimates.
I also talked to him about the remaining work: the trap in the kitchen for the dishwasher (as required by Schenectady plumbing code), the slop sink in the basement, the removal of the pipe downstairs, the smoke detectors, the doorbell we discovered on Friday was non-functioning, the broken cabinet door, and the unstable countertop and epoxy on the cabinets in the kitchen. He did verify that the wiring is in place to put up a hard-wired smoke detector on the third floor, so Chris apparently didn't forget anything. He will also be putting the light in Tim's bedroom.
George called Nancy sometime today--I was in a large vault for most of the day that received no cell signals--and he said that Chris the electrician would be here on Friday to finish the electrical work, which should take only a single extra day.

The New Sliding Door to the Back Porch
Here's the beautiful new sliding door. The door slides easily, which is a big change. Best of all, the door seems to lock firmly and to be in no danger of wearing away the way the old door did. We are now more secure in this house than we have been in years.

The Repaired Ceiling in the Basement
Here's a pictures of the ceiling near the staircase in the basement. John did this repair and pointed it out to me this morning--otherwise, who knows when I would have discovered it?

The Two Top Shelves of China
From yesterday, here are the two shelves where I put all the china. They are high up, requiring a chair to reach them, but still they're pretty easy to get to.

The Shelf that Perfectly Holds all the China Bowls, Plates, and Saucers
What I like best, however, is that I can store all the basic pieces of the china on one big shelf of the corner cabinet, along with a few other pieces. And they fit so well.
honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home