Friday, May 05, 2006

Day Sixty-Two: Something Approaching the Approach to Completion

I'm sure we have at least another week of renovation, but I can taste the end of this project today.

I spoke to Dennis the roofer today, and they don't want to deal with the flashing of the roof without a mason working on fixing the pointing and then adding counterflashing (that is built into the wall) that lies over the flashing. So we'll have to find a mason before we fix the flashing. In the meantime, the roofers will come on Monday to put in the missing tiles and make sure all the remaining tiles are nailed down tightly--except that Dennis doesn't think this is really possible to do well. Good news: half-fixing the roof should cost no more than a few hundred dollars. Bad news: flashing problems.

Nancy found out from John today that the guys thought they couldn't work in the house on Tuesday because of the party. What they didn't know is that the party is actually on Wednesday and that we want them to work even on Wednesday. Luckily, Nancy cleared this up before we left on our trip tomorrow.

When I got home today, Nancy and I tried to buy a light for the second-floor hallway, a light for the the basement stairway, and the remaining molding for around the doors. Because of a number of complications and incompetent clerks, we ended up running around for an hour and accomplishing nothing. Then we had to go straight to the high school for a set of ten ten-minute student plays that Tim was doing the lighting for.


The Kitchen in Modest Use

We're starting to use the kitchen again, which is good. I showed someone at work the old kitchen compared to this one, and the change between the two rooms is remarkable. See for yourself.


The New Stove in Place

The new stove, apparently, has a small ding near the back of it, but we're not worrying about it, since it looks great in place. It's not set up yet, but will be set up by Monday, along with much of the rest of the electrical.


The Refrigerator in Place but Looking Quite out of Place

The refrigerator moved into the kitchen today, for the first time in three months. The problem with this is that it makes clear that the white refrigerator just doesn't work in this kitchen. Nancy and I plan on buying a double-door stainless steel refrigerator, with the freezer on the bottom, sometime in the future. That will solve this esthetic problem.


The Old Home of the Refrigerator

Here's the space where the refrigerator has been sitting for all these months.


A Tiny Bit of Test Molding on the Side of the Horrible Staircase

I don't know what the guys are doing here, but they seem to be testing out molding solutions.


The Basement Staircase Wall, Taped and Mudded

John, I'm sure, did this taping and mudding today. I expect this will be done once we return home on Tuesday.


The Washer and Dryer in Place in the Bathroom Postchamber

The guys moved the washer and dryer upstairs to the laundry room that ends the bathroom. Chris the plumber has connected these, but they will have no electricity until Monday.


The Kitchen Bookcase Loaded with Cookbooks

I found a few more boxes of kitchen stuff tonight, and we unpacked them after seeing the plays. Even after finding all this new stuff, we can still store it all in our cabinets, without any crowding, and still have unused space.


The Tiny Gap between the Kitchen and the Dining Room

Finally, Pat finished the floor today, which is great, but there remains a tiny little gap between the kitchen and the dining room floors. This will be fixed somehow next week.

honi soit qui mal y pense

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home